Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sleeping In, Beautiful Weather, and Lovely, Mad Art.

Oh, this Saturday has just been lovely.  Here are some reasons why.

1.  I slept in a bit, and it was nice to be able to just kind of veg out in bed and not be pressed to go anywhere.

2.  It is gorgeous outside today.  It's such a stark contrast to the nastiness that's been the past couple of days here, and I'm loving it.  Even running errands was enjoyable because of how pretty it is outside.

3.  I enjoyed one of the most relaxing lunches I've had in a long time.  I made a grilled cheese sandwich, cut up an apple, grabbed a bottle of water, and also made myself a cup of coffee (don't judge).  I took all of this out onto the back deck, along with my Kindle, and just ate my lunch and read for more than an hour.  It was lovely.

4. I went to the NC Art Museum today and it's honestly one of my favorite places.  It was cool to see some new additions that I hadn't seen before, and also just fun to lose myself in the paintings and sculptures.  I found myself overwhelmed with the history contained in some of these paintings that date back to the 1300's...it was just a nice way to spend the afternoon.  Also, our museum has a gorgeous Rodin Garden that's got these bamboo plants and a reflecting pool.  That area + today's weather was just pretty much the best thing ever.

All the time I spent immersed in the works at the museum made me gravitate toward this quote about art:

"Great art is as irrational as great music.  It is mad with its own loveliness." ~George Jean Nathan

"Mad with its own loveliness"...that just caught my eye and sat well with me, especially after browsing through paintings and sculptures that run the length of the spectrum from modern art to classical art.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, friends!  I'm teaching Sunday School tomorrow, so I'm off to read up on my lesson.  Happy Weekend!

No comments: