Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday, Vol. 8

Hello there!

I know I'm coming at you a little late, but I've been grading things and also catching up with a good friend from elementary school. :)

Here are a few topics and thoughts for your consideration.

First up, some thoughts on self-control:

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself, and apply myself to them, if they will not apply themselves to me." ~Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1588

"It's alright letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back." ~Mick Jagger (!)

"I am,
indeed,
a king,
because I know how
to rule myself." ~Pietro Aretino, 10 May 1537

"You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage - pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically - to say 'no' to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger 'yes' burning inside. The enemy of the 'best' is often the 'good.'" ~Stephen Covey

"Nothing makes it easier to resist temptation than a proper bringing-up, a sound set of values - and witnesses." ~Franklin P. Jones

And now, some thoughts on gossip:

"What you don't see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth." ~Jewish Proverb

"If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." ~Kahlil Gibran, Sand and Foam

"Trying to squash a rumor is like trying to unring a bell." ~Shana Alexander

"The best way to keep one's word is not to give it." ~Napoleon I, Maxims
(Don't know if I agree totally with it, but it's something to kind of give one some pause.)

"I look at it this way. I'm not an eavesdropper; I have an attention surplus disorder." ~Robert Brault
(That's one way of thinking about it.)

And lastly, some thoughts on karma:

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand." ~Thich Nhat Hanh

"Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny." ~Tryon Edwards

"Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds." ~George Eliot

"Thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges." ~William Shakespeare
(This one made me smile at the thought of Shakespeare using the word 'whirligig.')

"Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity." ~Edwin Hubbel Chapin


I think that'll wrap up our edition of Thoughts on Thursday for this week. I apologize for being a little short on words, but I hope that given the hour at which this post is coming to you, you can be understanding. Hopefully others' words have managed to offer you a bit of advice or at least given you some pause for thinking.

I'll see you folks tomorrow after a mostly sound night's sleep. :)

♥ Marlee

No comments: