Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday, Vol. 5

Happy almost Friday to you all again! :-)

This evening, I've been mulling over some good topics for this week's Thoughts on Thursday, and I feel like the topics it would be appropriate to post about come from things going on around me. This week, friends from two different circles of my life have suffered the loss of a loved one. I felt that finding some quotes about grieving would be fitting.

"Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break." ~William Shakespeare

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose." ~From The Wonder Years (What a great show, right?)

"We acquire the strength we have overcome." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep." ~Henry Maudsley

"Every evening I turn my worries over to God. He's going to be up all night anyway." ~Mary C. Crowley (This is one of my favorite quotes.)

Another topic I felt was appropriate, especially in a time when so many people are dealing with grief, is hope.

"Once you choose hope, anything's possible." ~Christopher Reeve

"Hope is some extraordinary spiritual grace that God gives us to control our fears, not to oust them." ~Vincent McNabb

"Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all." ~Emily Dickinson

"Hope is the feeling we have that the feeling we have is not permanent." ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

"Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." ~George Iles

I just really loved some of the imagery in those quotes...beautiful. Now, let's end on a more positive note, with some quotes about sanity.

"Might we not say to the confused voices which sometimes arise from the depths of our being: 'Ladies, be so kind as to speak only four at a time?'" ~Madame Swetchine

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you." ~Rita Mae Brown

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." ~Robin Williams

"No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions." ~Henry Ward Beecher

"No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness." ~Aristotle

I mean, if Aristotle says so, it must be true, right?

Sorry for posting so late today...I've been a little sluggish at writing. I hope Thursday treated all of you well. Feel free to share any quotes that you lean on to lift you up when you're feeling down. Have an awesome Friday and I'll see you back here tomorrow for another round of Friday Funnies!

♥ Marlee

No comments: