Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tasty Tuesday, Vol. 7

Wow! I just really noticed that we're at volume 7, which means I've been doing this for almost 2 months! I'm enjoying writing, and I hope that you're enjoying reading.

For today's Tasty Tuesday, I'm actually coming to you for ideas and suggestions. See, I'm signed up for my first ever chili cook-off at my church this weekend, and I'm not really sure what direction to go with my chili. Obviously, I want the recipe to be as much my own as possible, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Here are my thoughts so far, with the help of my parents' suggestions, too.

I'm planning on cooking some pork chops and chicken prior to making the chili so that I'll have some really flavorful meat to use in the chili itself. I have a plethora of chicken and a good number of pork chops, which is why I'm choosing to use them instead of buying ground beef or sausage. I have chili powder, and I have dry beans that I can soak and use (black and pinto beans).

From there, I'm kind of making things up as I go along. I'm planning on heading to the store this week to get some diced tomatoes and chilies, an onion or two, some peppers, some corn, and maybe a few other items.

So the question I pose to you today is this: what do you like in your chili? What have you used and gotten good feedback from others? I'm not necessarily looking for full-on recipes, just suggestions--spices or ingredients that have been a success for you.

I look forward to your feedback, and I'll let you know how things turn out next week!

Enjoy the lovely weather we're having and I'll see you kids tomorrow!

♥ Marlee

Mmmm...chili...

2 comments:

Peter Bourey said...

Make sure that you balance the acid with a little sweet....even a little sugar sometimes makes a difference. Sounds like you are on the right track. NOW I'M HUNGRY!!!!

Marlee said...

Thanks, daddy! Maybe I'll set aside a little taste just for you. :)