Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lenten Promises, Awful Blogging Habits, and Some Words on Happiness.

So the fact that I only posted once in the entirety of last school year really speaks volumes to how busy the life of a teacher is.  Also, I'm kind of lazy about blogging.

Since then, I've not only changed my career path, but I'm in the process of applying to grad school to get my Masters in Instructional Technology.

A lot can change in a short period of time.

I'm in this job (Instructional Technology Facilitator) now because the opportunity presented itself and I decided it was worth giving a shot, especially since my Principals all seemed to believe I'd be awesome at the position.  I've been really enjoying taking on the different responsibilities that come with this new job.  I get to work with all of the students at my school, and I get to work with all of the staff, too.  It's cool to develop so many great relationships with such a wide range of people.

Anyway, I'm back because I think I know something I'd like to attempt to instill as a habit by giving it a go during Lent this year.  (I'll be "giving up" sodas and sweet tea in an effort to drink more water.)  A handful of years back, I took on something I called "The Happiness Project," where I took time each day to write a list of at least 10 silver linings from that day.  They could be big or small, but I found good things in each day during Lent and I really enjoyed it.  It was also at a time when I was really unhappy at my job.  (This was before I moved to Harnett County.)  I was in a less than healthy emotional place, and I think it was good for me to take time regularly to find happiness in each day.

This year, I'd like to attempt that same project with a slight twist.  My goal will be to write about positive occurrences, but also to find a verse or quote that resonates with me each day.  I can't promise you'll get beautiful or eloquent entries from me each day, but I will do my best to get something on here each day during Lent, and hopefully that'll begin a trend for me.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, which blows my mind.  But it also means that I need to get cracking on this project, too.  So tomorrow I'll put up my first post with my small positive moments, along with a verse or a quote that sits well in my heart.

It's late, and I need sleep.  In the spirit of the project, here's a quote that sits well in my heart this evening:

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier.  The way it actually works is the reverse.  You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want. ~Margaret Young

Sleep tight, friends.  I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments: