Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday Music Moment, Vol. 10

Volume 10? For serious?

Awesome.

Hiya folks, welcome back. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was lots of fun, but also lots of events, so it made for a tired Monday for this chick. I'm super excited about sharing a great up and comer with you all today, though.

I stumbled across my first video by this artist after a friend on Facebook posted one of his mash-up videos. He took 3 songs that are so vastly different and blended them in a easy, simple-but-complex sounding way. I wanted to see more, so I went to his YouTube page and came across a beauty! If you'll recall, last week I shared a video of the incredibly talented Adele singing her hit, "Someone Like You." I have been almost obsessed with that song since posting it last week. Well here I am, discovering this new kid on YouTube, and what song is amongst his covers but his own rendition of the very Adele song that has become my obsession!

Meet Nick Gardner:

For those of you unfamiliar with the song he folded in at the end, it was "Secrets," by One Republic. I just absolutely loved his take on the song, and adding in the One Republic bit at the end...just awesome, right? I didn't post lyrics for this one simply because most of them were posted last week when I featured Adele. :)

So, I've done a little research and even had the chance to exchange with Nick a couple of times on Facebook. I wanted to give you a few links so that if you like what you see and hear today, you can find out more information. Nick is really just in the beginning stages of making a name for himself. He's actually from a town in England just south of Manchester, but he's currently living in LA trying to figure out the music business. If you're interested, his Facebook page can be found here. He also has a YouTube channel where you can check out his work--he's posted tons of covers along with a few originals, and he really welcomes comments, which I think is super cool. A few other places to keep track of him are on Twitter and Tumblr, if you're interested.

Keep your eyes on this kid; I'm excited to see what might happen with him in the future. He seems very down to earth and approachable, which I also think is pretty great. Our conversation on Facebook went something like this:

Me: Just discovered your cover of Adele's "Someone Like You." Incredible talent! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Nick: Woop woop. I'm glad you did. Keep spreading the word if you would. x
Me: No doubt! I've already shown the video to a few people, and I'm going to feature it on my blog tomorrow. Perhaps you'll gain a few more fans. :) Kudos to you for being so open and communicating with your fans! ♥
Nick: I don't even really think of any of you as fans, just folks who've taken the time and care to come write to me; no reason not to return the favor. Thanks so much for the promo on your blog. x

Can I just say that this kid is pretty much the cutest thing ever? He's super sweet, he's easy on the eyes, has a great voice, AND he correctly used a semi-colon in a Facebook post. I think I might be falling in love!

I wanted to leave you with one more video from Nick, just to give you a taste of his versatility as an artist. This last one is another cover he's done; this time it's "Rocket Man" by Elton John. Enjoy! I'll post the lyrics below.


She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then

I miss the earth so much
I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touch down brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no no no
I'm a rocket man
Rocket man
Burning out his fuse up there alone

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise the kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did

And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket man
A rocket man

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touch down brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no no no
I'm a rocket man
Rocket man
Burning out his fuse up there alone

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touch down brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no no no
I'm a rocket man
Rocket man
Burning out his fuse up there alone

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time

Rocket man
Rocket man

Rocket man

Until tomorrow,

♥ Marlee

No comments: