Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Funnies, Vol. 9

For today's Friday Funnies, I thought I would look up some dumb laws!

I went through a phase where I really got into looking these up, and when I was wracking my brain for something fun to use for this week's Funnies, I was really excited when I thought about using this as my focus.

So, without further ado...here we go!

First up, some dumb laws from Massachusetts. (Don't ask, it's just the first one I picked.)
*It is illegal to give beer to hospital patients.
*At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.
*Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
*All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday. (Shannon, now you know where you and Andrew have to live at some point, right? :D)
HOWEVER:
*Hunting on Sundays is prohibited.
*Tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder. (New Englanders do take their chowder seriously...)

Moving on to a new location--here are some dumb laws from Utah:
*It is illegal to not drink milk.
*Alcohol may not be sold during an emergency. (I wonder what constitutes an emergency in this case...)
*It is illegal to cause a catastrophe. (!)
*It's legal for restaurants to serve wine with meals, but only if you ask for the wine list.

And now, some dumb laws from Michigan:
*No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison.
*The last Sunday in June of every year was named "log cabin day." (Sounds like a crazy party, eh?)
*A woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.
*You may not swear in front of women and children. (Repealed, 2002...what a shame!)
*Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony. (Gotta watch out for those 13-15 year old felons...)

And we'll wrap up with my home state--North Carolina:
*It is against the law to sing off key.
*Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields.
*If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married. (Crazy!)
*A three dollar tax must be paid on all white goods sold. (What exactly are "white goods"?)
*Organizations may not hold their meetings while the members present are in costume.
*Bingo games may not last over 5 hours unless it is held at a fair.

Fun stuff, eh? If you're interested in finding out about more dumb laws, check out www.dumblaws.com for more!

I hope everyone had a good chuckle--have a great weekend and I'll see you folks again on Monday!

♥ Marlee

No comments: