Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday, Vol. 2

Hello again, friends!

Welcome to our second installment of Thoughts on Thursday. Now, I haven't really gotten much response from you guys as to specific topics you'd like to see quotes on, so I'm just going to pick a few subjects and share some thoughts. I hope you're enjoying reading the daily themes--I really appreciate your feedback, so always feel free to let me know what you love and what you think could be better using the comments section.

Let's get this show on the road, eh?

I'm struck with the desire to share some quotes on friendship, so enjoy these!

"Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty." ~Sicilian Proverb

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." ~Albert Schweitzer

"If a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it." ~Edgar Watson Howe
(This one made me laugh, but it's an interesting approach!)

"If I had to sum up Friendship in one word, it would be Comfort." ~Terri Guillemets
(How beautifully poetic! And true!)

Now for some thoughts on effort:

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." ~Thomas Jefferson(!)

"Men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm." ~Sidney J. Phillips
(Food for thought...)

"If a man is called a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and Earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.'" ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
(Appropriate, with MLK, Jr Day on Monday!)

"Door don't slam open." ~John M. Shanahan, The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time (In Two Lines of Less)

And, our last topic for today is one close to my heart: teaching.

"If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of who didn't want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job." ~Donald D. Quinn
(Amen!)

"A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary." ~Thomas Carruthers

"Teachers who inspire know that teaching is like cultivating a garden, and those who would have nothing to do with thorns must never attempt to gather flowers." ~Author Unknown
(One of my favorites!)

And, to end on a humorous note...this one was said by an anonymous teacher:

"If you promise not to believe everything your child says happens at school, I'll promise not to believe everything he says happens at home."

Ha!

Well, folks, I won't drone on. I hope you've enjoyed today's Thoughts on Thursday, and as always, I welcome your suggestions for topics you'd like quotes about for next week.

Stay warm and drive safe, and I'll see you tomorrow for your Friday Funnies!

♥ Marlee

PS - I've added a section for "Reactions" to my posts. If you'd rather not type a comment and you just want to give a quick response, feel free to check off any of the boxes you feel are appropriate. It'll help me gauge what you enjoy! :-) Thanks!

4 comments:

M and N Turner said...

Marlee - Your face is dirty. Does that make me a true friend?

Marlee said...

Hahaha, funny funny. :-p

Josh and Emily said...

Your blog is snowing. Is that the same as telling you your face is dirty?
-Emily

Marlee said...

Haha, no, I don't think so. The snow is on purpose. lol.

Phone date this weekend, perhaps?