Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday, Vol. 2

Hello again, friends!

Yesterday evening, as I was watching the snow fall and staying as bundled as possible inside of my apartment, I was hit with the desire to make some soup! So for today's Tasty Tuesday, I bring you a sort-of "recipe" that I made up as I was going along, but it wound up absolutely delicious!

So, to start, I had a ham bone that my parents gave me, along with a huge bag of leftover ham. I started by putting the ham bone into my soup pot and covering it with water. I let it boil for a good while, tasting and adding salt a few times until I felt like I got all of the flavor I could out of the ham bone. While that was boiling, I chopped up about half of the ham meat that I had...my best guess would be that it was at least a couple of cups worth.

I took the ham bone out and skimmed for any pieces of fat that had come off of it, making sure that I tasted and salted the stock. After that, I added a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom with roasted garlic, and another can of their regular cream of mushroom. I also added the chopped up ham meat at this point. I stirred it a bit and covered it to let it boil and mix. After I let it boil for a bit, I stirred it again and tasted the stock I had so far: delicious! The mushroom and ham married together so well, I was really pleased.

I decided to add a cup of Harris Teeter's American Basmati Brown and Red Rice Blend with Pearled Barley and Rye Berries. It's a really great blend of flavorful rices that have a bit more texture to them than just plain old brown or white rice. This stuff takes a while to cook, so I gave it a good stir, then covered it and put the timer on for 45 minutes.

At around the 15 minute mark, I decided I wanted to add some veggies, so I tossed in a bag of frozen chopped broccoli and frozen sliced carrots. I didn't want to add too much more to the soup, and at this point I honestly didn't need to season anything at all.

So there you have it. It's delicious, and I don't really have a name for it other than ham and mushroom soup with vegetables and rice, which is a bit of a mouthful. Here's the breakdown of ingredients one more time:

  • ham bone, boiled to create stock
  • salt, to taste
  • 1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic
  • 1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom
  • 2-2 1/2 cups of chopped cooked ham
  • 1 cup of H.T. Traders American Basmati Brown and Red Rice Blend
  • 1 bag of chopped frozen broccoli
  • 1 bag of frozen sliced carrots

It was super easy--the biggest thing was having patience for the stock to get flavorful before I took out the ham bone, and then waiting for the rice to cook. But now I have a big pot of soup to eat off of while the weather is cold and gross. What's your favorite cold-weather food? Share in the comments below!

Stay warm, and I'll see you tomorrow!

♥ Marlee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm making a pot of beans with our left over ham bone! I wanna try your recipe too, it sounds delicious!
Love you!

Marlee said...

You'll have to let me know if you try it! I'd love to know how it comes out.

It was great talking to you today.

Miss you!
♥.