Thursday, April 7, 2011

Afterall, happiness is really just another choice we make, right?

Hello, and welcome to my recently redesigned blog! :)

I didn't want to do too much tinkering, but I wanted a bit of a change. What do you think? Please share your thoughts in the comments--I'm always looking for helpful suggestions.

Well, for today's Thoughts on Thursday, I thought I'd bring you an array of thoughts all radiating positivity. I don't know about you all, but I'm getting to that super stressed time of year, and a good beginning step to destressing lies just in changing one's attitude. So let's start with some thoughts on happiness:

"'Well,' said Pooh, 'what I like best,' and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called." ~A.A. Milne

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~H. Jackson Browne

"Can anything be so elegant as to have few wants, and to serve them one's self?" ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Pleasure is spread through the earth
In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find."
~William Wordsworth, 1806

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." ~Abraham Lincoln

And now some thoughts on attitude:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." ~Herm Albright, quoted in Reader's Digest, June 1995

"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

"If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want." ~Oscar Wilde

"Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats." ~Voltaire

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left." ~Hubert Humphrey

And we'll wrap up today's thoughts with a few on optimism/pessimism:

"The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser - in case you thought optimism was dead." ~Robert Brault

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them." ~Leonard Louis Levinson

"A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties." ~Harry Truman

"If an optimist had his left arm chewed off by an alligator, he might say, in a pleasant and hopeful voice, 'Well, this isn't too bad. I don't have my left arm anymore, but at least nobody will ever ask me whether I am right-handed or left-handed,' but most of us would say something more along the lines of 'Aaaaah! My arm! My arm!'" ~Lemony Snicket

"After 5,000 years of recorded human history, you wonder, What part of 2,000,000 sunrises doesn't a pessimist understand?" ~Robert Brault


Alright, kids, I'm off to chill out on the couch for a while. Have a good evening, and as I always tell my kiddos--make it a great day.

Until next time.

♥ Marlee

No comments: