Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Beauty Sample Redux: May in Review

Wow, this post is going up much later than intended!

I figured now was a good time to break down some more solid reviews of the products I've tried out this past month from Birchbox, ipsy, and my own personal shopping hauls.  I'm just going to back up to my mini-haul from Target and work my way forward, giving a brief description and a star rating (out of 5).  Let's get started!

Target Products:
There were three main products that were new to me from Target--the Pacifica Coco Pure makeup remover wipes, the wet n wild Fergie collection mattifying pressed powder, and the book I scooped up: a copy of Gone Girl.

  • The Pacifica wipes smell great, but I've noticed with prolonged use that they're pretty thing and small for a makeup remover wipe.  I generally need 2 wipes if I have any kind of eye make up on, as it starts to transfer from the wipe back onto my skin if I don't swap out a new wipe.  They've been nice, but I don't know that I'd rush to buy them again. Rating: 3 stars
  • The mattifying powder seems to work okay--I've been using it as a setting powder when I finish my makeup in the morning, and it does seem to keep me from getting shiny as the day goes on.  There really isn't a ton of product in the little compact I got, but I'll reserve judgment on whether or not I'll repurchase it until I hit pan. Rating: 4 stars
  • The book was pretty good!  I knew the basic premise, and I'll be honest--the "twist" was pretty obvious to me, but the ambiguity of the ending was interesting.  I need to see the movie now! Rating: 4 stars
Birchbox Samples:

  • Shu Uemura, Art of Hair Cleansing Oil Shampoo - This shampoo wasn't as novel of an experience as I expected it to be.  It smelled pretty great, but didn't wow me in terms of how my hair looked or felt after using it. Rating: 3 stars
  • Juara, Candlenut Body Creme - I couldn't get past the scent of this one.  The texture was okay, but the scent just wasn't one I like.  Rating: 1 star
  • CoTZ, Flawless Complexion SPF 50 - This felt pretty nice on the face, but the tint was basically a joke--it didn't offer any kind of coverage.  It was nice to wear under my makeup for a little boost of SPF, though the tinted moisturizer I've been using as a foundation for a while already has SPF 15.  Would wear at the beach or the pool.  Rating: 3 stars
  • Prescriptives, False Eyelashes Plush Mascara - An impressive little mascara, and while nice for a bit of length on its own, combined with a good volumizing mascara, it packs quite a punch.  Not sure it's worth $23, but I'll use up the sample, for sure.  Rating: 4 stars
  • Chosunga 22, Flavorful Lipstick - Guava Tint Jello - This product continues to mystify me.  The pink shade is pretty and light, and it feels great.  Not super long lasting, but it's a great tinted lip balm.  Rating: 4 stars

ipsy Samples:

  • I still need to check with Linda about the Oscar Blandi Hair Lift Mousse.  Hopefully it's been working out well for her!
  • theBalm Cosmetics, NUDE Dude Eyeshadow Single (Shade: "Fit") - This color is really pretty, though fairly similar to some other shades I already own,.  The texture is really nice; I wish I had a few more shades to play with to really make a judgment call. Rating: 3 stars
  • GLAMGLOW, ThirstyCleanse Daily Hydrating Cleanser - Love, love, love this product.  It smells of coconut and it's a really unique cleansing experience--you apply it onto your dry face and then slowly work in water to foam it up.  Leaves my skin feeling fresh and not dried out.  If it didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd totally buy this.  Maybe I'll check and see if it's in the Birchbox store and start saving up some points! Rating: 5 stars
  • IT Cosmetics, Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+ - It took me a while to get excited about using this, but once I tried it out as an undereye concealer, I liked it.  It isn't really the right shade to use all over my face, but did work really nicely under my eyes.  It's pretty pricey, and I don't feel like it's some all important missing component of my makeup routine, but I'll use it up. Rating: 3 stars
  • Klorane, Smoothing and Relaxing Patches - Underwhelming.  These are cooling for exactly a minute and a half and then they don't have much of an effect at all.  They're nice, I guess, but I don't think they're really all that remarkable of a product.  Don't know that I'd purchase them, but I'm glad I got to use them and try them out. Rating: 2 stars


Alright, friends, that's it for now--next time I post will be to share my June Birchbox and ipsy Glam Bag!  As I sign off, I remind you once more--don't forget to be awesome.

Best wishes,

Marlee

No comments: