Friday, May 15, 2015

May 2015 ipsy Glam Bag!

Let's see what this Glam Bag business is all about, shall we?

This is my first ever bag from ipsy, and I'll be honest--I've heard mixed reviews.  This is more of a trial for me, and after a few months, I'll be deciding whether or not it's worth keeping up along with my Birchbox.

So for those who aren't aware, ipsy is another beauty sample subscription service.  It is, like Birchbox, $10/month (I think it comes to $10.77 with tax, etc.).  Instead of arriving in a super cute box, the samples arrive in a super cute Glam Bag with a zipper.  Each month, the bag is a different design/pattern.

First and foremost, I need to say I was a little disappointed in how my Glam Bag arrived to me.  Let me let the pictures do some talking, first.


In case the picture is unclear, the package is marked as having "arrived unsealed."  The bag was open without any semblance of a seal; the scrap of plastic appears to be what's left of the adhesive.  So already, I was a little nervous.  

The first item I pulled out, however, was fairly impressive.  It appears to be a full size, and it didn't fit inside of my Glam Bag.  Check it out:

Product number one:
First and foremost...yes, I opened it in my car again.  Don't judge.
Oscar Blandi
Hair Life Mousse
Appears to be full size (6.3 oz.)
Product Value: $23.00

This brought me to attention pretty quickly, too.  This is a pretty impressive first product to pull out, even with the unsealed package throwing me for a loop.  It isn't really a product that I need for myself, though, so I've passed it along to my stepmom, Linda.  I'll find out from her how she likes it.  We did spray a little of it just to see about consistency and scent, and it smells like your basic hair product.  I look forward to hearing how it works out for Linda.  Let's move right along!

Next, I pulled out the actual Glam Bag and the card.  Here's how they looked: 



The bag appears to be a pretty basic canvas bag--the design is pretty cute.  The interior, as you can see, is a hot pink cloth.  This is a cute bag, but I'd be a little wary of putting anything other than dry products in it.  If anything were to leak, it wouldn't end well.  On another note, the card itself is...pretty useless.  It doesn't tell me anything about the products, but it gives a brief overview of the theme for the month.  This month the theme is "Jetsetter."  

So okay. Decently cute bag.  One full size product.  Let's move onward to check out the rest of what was in the bag!

Product number two:


theBalm Cosmetics
NUDE Dude Eyeshadow Single
Shade: "Fit"
Sample size, 0.035 oz
Sample value, $3.75
From the NUDE Dude Volume 2 Palette
Full size Palette, $36.00

Here's a quick swatch I did of this shadow:


This color is a nice warm copper with a fair amount of shimmer.  The texture is very buttery; I don't have a ton of first hand experience with higher end shadows, but there's a softness and a richness to this shadow that makes me super excited to play with it on my eyes.  I'm glad to have it for sure.

Product number three:


GLAMGLOW
THIRSTYCLEANSE DAILY HYDRATING CLEANSER
Sample size, 1 oz / 30 g
Sample value, $7.80

I'm probably most excited to have this sample.  GLAMGLOW is a brand I've heard rave reviews about, but it's pretty stupid expensive.  This is a sizable sample that should allow me a few uses.  It's not very often you get the chance to try out a $40 face cleanser.  I look forward to sharing the experience with you!

Product number four:


IT Cosmetics
Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+
Shade, Medium
Sample size, 4ml / 0.135 fl oz
Sample value, $4.75

The box was pretty banged up--the picture above shows its state when I pulled it out, including the fact that the bottom of the box was open.  I'm a little unsettled by this trend in my bag, but hopefully this was just an off day for them.  This product is a full coverage color correcting cream.  It's intended to be used as a foundation, I guess.  I'm not much of a full coverage foundation wearer, but then again I don't have a ton of experience with them.  I'll give it a go and see how well it matches my skin tone.  That'll be in my soon to come follow up with my thoughts after trying out different products.  On to our last product!

Product number five:

Klorane
Smoothing and Relaxing Patches
Sample size, 2 sets of 2 patches 
Sample value, $6.00

I was pretty excited to get these.  I've become a bit of a mask junkie, and these are basically little cooling patches for under your eyes.  They definitely have a cooling sensation to them (I tried one set on tonight), but I was a little underwhelmed, as it wasn't a very intense or lasting cooling sensation.  I'll try the other set another time and see if it feels any more remarkable.  They're fun to try out, but I'm hoping to find the second experience to be more satisfying than the first.

So, all in all, this bag that cost me $10.77 brought me about $45 worth of products ($45.30, to be exact).  I'm fairly impressed by the value of the products in this bag, and hopefully my next Glam Bag arrives in better condition.  I think I'll stick around to find out!

I'll be back in a little while with some further thoughts on the products once I've had the chance to test them out for a bit longer--until then, don't forget to be awesome, my friends.

Best wishes,

-Marlee

No comments: