Wednesday, May 13, 2015

May 2015 Birchbox! (Finally!)

Guys, it came today and I'm so excited!

So excited that I even had to open it up while I was sitting my car.  Forgive me if these aren't the best pics, but I think they came out pretty well considering I took them while excitedly digging through my box in my car.

For anyone who isn't familiar, Birchbox is a beauty subscription service.  It costs $10 a month for women and $20 a month for men, and they have a killer point system that lets you earn awesome money to spend in the Birchbox store on full size products. Okay, let's get right to it, shall we?

First of all, this month's box? Gorgeous.


Before we get the goodies in here, though, I thought I'd share with you my splurge--I decided to opt in for one of the Birchbox Plus items this month.  There were a few different of these charm necklaces, and I fell in love and got one for myself. 


It's an elephant, for good luck.  You're supposed to make a wish as you put it on.  The "chain" is actually a really pretty thread (attached to legit necklace clasps).  The idea is that once the thread wears out, your wish will have come true.  Neat, right?  (There was also a key for confidence, and a wishbone, too.)  Here's a closer look:


I'm glad I got it! I made my wish, so we'll see how this thing works out.  

Now, on to what you came here for--the contents of my May 2015 Birchbox!  I didn't opt into sample choice, so my whole box was a surprise.  I'll walk you through each product I got and give you their details.  I just received these today, so I'll have a few first impressions for you, but I'll also be back another time to give you some feedback after I've tried out the products for a more extended time period.

Up first: 
Shu Uemura
Art of Hair Cleansing Oil Shampoo
Full size, $57
Sample size - 2.5 fl. oz.
Sample value - $10.69

First impression: I'm intrigued! I've been more and more adventurous with trying the hair products that Birchbox sends me, and they almost always result in compliments on my hair the next day, so I'll probably give this one a go tonight in the shower.  Also, this brand comes highly recommended to me by a friend, so it's got that in its favor.  Smells very pleasant.

Product number 2:
Juara
Candlenut Body Creme
Full size, $35
Sample size - 0.34 oz.
Sample value - $1.72

First impression: Obviously this sample is a great deal smaller, and product is pretty rich.  It seeped into my skin pretty well, but didn't feel as thick as it looked when I first squeezed a bit of it out of the tube.  It didn't feel greasy, and the scent is...different.  I'm assuming that the most prominent scent is the candlenut oil.  I don't know if I really enjoy the scent, but I'll give it another go before I make a final call.

Product number 3:
CoTZ
Flawless Complexion SPF 50
Full size, $20
Sample size - 0.18 oz
Sample value - $1.44

First impression: I've seen this brand around on the Birchbox site and in other folks' unboxings, and it seems to be a brand that folks are generally sort of apathetic towards.  The product itself is a lightly tinted face sunscreen that's supposed to even tone, block UV rays, and not clog up your pores.  Certainly a great product to get at this time of year when the sun is getting more and more prominent and the temperatures are higher.  Glad to have it to try out.  It doesn't seem to have a strong scent at all, which is fine by me.  The tint is very sheer, and it blends out well into the skin without looking "makeup-y."  Should be great to wear under makeup or for time at the pool!

Product number 4:
Prescriptives
False Eyelashes Plush Mascara
Shade: Plush Black 01
Full size, $23
Sample size - 0.09 oz
Sample value - $5.91

First impressions: I wanted to include a picture of the brush, since that's a major point for a lot of folks in purchasing mascara.  It's a pretty dense standard bristle brush.  Rather than postulate about the formula and whatnot, I figured I'd put on a couple coats and see how it compares.  Below you'll see on the left, 2 coats of the mascara, and on the right, no mascara whatsoever--today was a no makeup day.  Behold:


Pretty impressive, right?  It definitely lengthens and I didn't experience any noticeable clumping; application was pretty easy.  I will say that I'm interested to see how it does when combined with a volumizing mascara.  On its own, it's great for lengthening, but it didn't really leave me with the volume I usually like from a mascara.  I'm always down to play with makeup, though, so we'll see how it works out in the long run!

And finally, product number 5:

Chosunga 22
Flavorful Lipstick - Guava Tint Jello
Full size, $18
Sample sent is full size!

First impressions: What. Guys. This lipstick is blowing my mind.  If the pictures don't do it total justice, let me explain what you're looking at.  This lipstick is transparent orange.  Take that in a minute.  Transparent.  Orange.  Lipstick.  Chosunga 22 is a cult-favorite Korean makeup line that's apparently known for its innovative products.  Korean beauty is taking over, my friends.  This lipstick is supposed to have a "subtle sweet scent," though I find the scent, while definitely (and thankfully) subtle, the sweetness has a very synthetic "fake orange" sort of scent to it.  If it were stronger, I don't think I'd enjoy the product.  That being said, can we talk about the color that this stuff goes on in?  I swatched it after putting it on my lips because I didn't understand, so check it out:


Look at that! It's a beautiful, sheer, soft pink.  Totally unexpected, and I love the way this stuff feels.  It's supposed to be part lipstick, part balm, and it feels really soft but not greasy or oily.  I'm super excited to have this and it's full size! For good measure, here's what a few swipes looked like on me.  (I've also gone ahead and mascara-ed my other eye.)


Really subtle shine, and that slight wash of pink is really nice.  This will go right into my purse.

So let's total this one up, friends.  For the $10 subscription price, I got almost $40 worth of products (the total came to $37.76).  That's a pretty awesome deal, I'd say.

I honestly love Birchbox and have never really been disappointed by a box.  Sure, some are more exciting than others, but I always find something in the box that I really enjoy or that I've not heard of before, and that's one of the things I really love about this service.

Interested in signing up for your own Birchbox subscription?  Click here! 

My first ever ipsy Glam Bag should be arriving this weekend! I'm looking forward to seeing what that's all about and how it compares to Birchbox in terms of value.  That will probably be my next post, but I'll be sure to check in soon with some thoughts after using my other products for a bit longer.

Until next time, friends--don't forget to be awesome.

Best wishes,

-Marlee 






No comments: