Monday, June 29, 2015

Beauty Sample Redux: June in Review!

Holy cow, friends--how can July already be upon us?

It's time to take a look back at the samples I've had for this month from ipsy and Birchbox, along with a few little tidbits about another trip I took to Ulta (I have a problem, I know).  Let's just dive in and talk about the things I bought in this past month from Ulta first! (I'll use the same 5-star rating system as last month.)

Ulta Products:
I've shown you the eye shadow palette and the liquid lipstick palette, but in addition to that, I also grabbed a small kit of tarte brand products (called the tartlette 101 kit), and I decided to try out NYX's Liquid Illuminizer. Here are my thoughts on each of those.

  • The Take Me There Palette by Ulta has been super fun to play with,  Not all of the colors have the same payoff pigmentation-wise, but I've been able to make some pretty nice eye looks incorporating these shadows.  The inconsistency in quality keeps me from being able to rate it higher than 4 stars, but it's a fun new tool to add to my (quickly growing) makeup arsenal. Here are a couple of eye looks I made incorporating this palette:

  • The Ulta Liquid Lipstick Kit is also a really neat addition to my makeup collection.  I don't own any super bold lip colors like these, and while I've only worn the Pink Spritzer shade so far, I enjoyed wearing these.  They are suuuuper pigmented and really fun to add on when I've gone fairly low key everywhere else on my face.  They have a fair amount of lasting power, though I do have to watch that they don't run.  Overall, I really enjoy these.  Rating: 4 stars. Here's how I wore the pink shade earlier this month:

  • The tartlette 101 Discovery Set was a really neat kit I found in Ulta, though I can't find it online to get you a link, which is a major bummer. (I found a link on Amazon, but it's waaaay overpriced.  Check your nearest Ulta store and see if you can get your hands on it.)  It's a kit that includes deluxe samples of tarte's  Amazonian clay bronzer and blush, a LipSurgence lip creme, their Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara, and their maracuja oil.  I've gotten to use all of them and I'm really liking getting to play with a higher end brand that I wouldn't normally be able to afford.  I'm going to go ahead and give this kit 5 stars.  It's a really great introduction to some of tarte's best selling products, and these deluxe samples will last me a good while!  Here's a picture of the pieces of this kit (also featuring the next product I'll be discussing):

  • The last thing I purchased this month from Ulta could easily be purchased in a Walmart, Target, or drug store that carries NYX products.  I purchased their Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator in the shade Gleam.  This is basically a liquid highlighter, and the shade is so gorgeous.  It's warm and golden and peachy and I can't say enough nice things about it.  Oh, and it's also on sale for like $5 right now at Ulta.  Check it out!  I'm easily going to rate this one 5 stars.  Will most definitely repurchase in the future.

ipsy Samples:

  • OFRA Cosmetics Turquoise Eyeliner - This eyeliner is a pretty nice for a pencil eyeliner.  It's not as soft as some of the eyeliners I own and enjoy already and it pales in comparison to the indigo eyeliner I got in my Birchbox this month, but it's been fun to play with and I'll get as much use from it as I can. Rating: 3 stars
  • LAVANILA LABORATORIES The Healthy Body Butter in Pure Vanilla - This was just okay for body butter.  The misleading scent is less of a vanilla and much more akin to a nutty/spicy kind of fragrance that I don't enjoy enough to get much use of.  It'll be good to throw into my suitcase for travel, but it's not a new favorite by any stretch.  Rating: 2 stars
  • Smashbox Cosmetics Photo Finish Foundation Primer - This primer is pretty awesome.  It's the subject of a lot of hype in the makeup community, and while it wouldn't be an everyday primer for me, it certainly does its job to make your skin look smoother and your makeup apply evenly.  Rating: 4 stars
  • Formula X Nail Color in the shade Power Source - I haven't yet worn this nail polish, but the color is lovely and I'm considering painting my toes with it the next time I swap out my colors--I'm currently rocking a Revlon Nail Enamel in the shade 495 - Sultry.  Rating to come once I actually use the color!
  • treStiQue Mini Shadow Crayon in the shade Kona Coffee - This little shadow crayon has proven really versatile for me.  I've used it to fill in my brows for some added drama, and I've used it to darken up the crease in my eyes, as seen in the brown eye look featured earlier in this post.  It's been fun to explore how to use such a dark color! Rating: 4 stars

Birchbox Samples:
  • Temple Spa Good Hair Day Shampoo & In Good Condition Conditioner - I'm rating this duo together.  The shampoo was nothing super special, though the conditioner felt and smelled very nice.  I'll probably tuck these away for travel in the future, but I won't be jumping to purchase these in full size any time soon.  Rating: 3 stars
  • Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels - These packed more of a punch than the Kloraine eye patches I got in last month's ipsy bag, but that's not saying a lot.  They're very refreshing for the first few minutes, but after wearing them for about 5 minutes, you don't notice any lasting effects.  Perhaps if I had more than one pair to try I could speak more to their efficacy, but either way, they were fun to play with,  Rating: 3 stars
  • Dr. Jart+ Premium BB Cream SPF 45+ in the shade Medium-Deep - I did try out this BB cream all over my face one day in place of the Garnier BB Cream that I've basically fallen in love with, and while it felt nice and lasted all day, the shade was just a touch too dark for my face.  It wasn't enough to be problematic, but it was enough to make me think this shade just wasn't the best fit for me.  I'm glad I got to try it, though.  Rating: 3 stars
  • Marcelle Mini Waterproof Eyeliner in the shade Indigo - This eyeliner beats the OFRA liner in a number of ways: it's creamier and easier to work with, it's much bolder color-wise, and it has pretty killer staying power.  Rating: 4 stars  Here's how it looked when I used it on my lower lash line paired with a black liner on my upper lid:
  • Pura Vida Lace Headband - This little headband is pretty awesome for wearing around the house, especially when I need to be applying or removing makeup.  It was an extra this month and I'm glad to have it! Rating: 4 stars
Okay--that about wraps up this month in review.  I hope you're all enjoying your summer!  I've got about 4 more weeks or so of my current grad school course that just got started recently, and then I'll get a few weeks in August to chill out and not think about grad school OR work-school.  Though, let's be honest--I'll probably do some thinking about both.

I'm excited to see what July brings from Birchbox and ipsy, and I'll be back to tell you about both in the next couple of weeks.  As always, I implore you in the meantime--don't forget to be awesome.

Best wishes,

Marlee

No comments: