Saturday, September 17, 2011

Confessions of a Book Nerd

I'm kind of a book nerd.

It's something that I'm not terribly shy about, but it's also something that I don't tend to have in common with too many people.  Some of my closest friends understand my book nerd tendencies.

I'm pretty much up for reading almost anything that's well-written.  I tend to read a lot of young adult literature, which I blame on my elementary education major, but I suppose what it really boils down to is that I like a lot of the themes and elements of young adult lit.  I didn't read Harry Potter until I was in college, and that kind of opened up a new world to me.  I discovered another gem, The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

It only grew from there...I worked summers at the Y, and I would check out tubs of books to bring to camp for the kids to read, but I read them just as much as they did.  I read The Spiderwick Chronicles; I picked up and laughed out loud reading Junie B. Jones.

Over the years, I have found and fallen in love with other series--The Hunger Games, The Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, The Charlie Bone series, The Gregor the Overlander series...the list could go on and on.

I also read literature actually intended for my age group, promise!  I actually just finished reading The Help not that long ago (LOVED it!), and I usually am reading a couple of  books at the same time.

This has become much more rambling than I intended.  Let me get to the meat of this mess, k?

I read because, for me, it's an escape.  I love getting totally wrapped up in the world of a book, and just forgetting about my life for a little while.  I spent many hours in the halls of Hogwarts, fought side-by-side with Katniss in the Hunger Games, and had great adventures with Percy, Annabeth, and the rest of the half-bloods as they made their way fighting monsters in Manhattan.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things there are much worse things to be addicted to.

What do you like to read?  Why do you enjoy reading?  It's not everybody's cup of tea, but if you're someone who can proudly wear the title of "book nerd," hit me up.  We have a lot of talking to do!

Until next time,

♥ Marlee

A good book should leave you...slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

2 comments:

Lo said...

Hi Marlee! I'm glad there are other book nerds out there! I love reading esp. as opposed to watching TV don't get me wrong I do love to just veg out in front of it sometimes. But for the most part I do love reading my classics. :) -Lo

Marlee said...

Welcome, Lo!

Glad to meet a fellow book nerd! I went on a classic lit kick a little while back and read Wuthering Heights for the first time. I have Persuasion and The Scarlet Letter (can you believe I never read it in hs?) still on my list, but I get so distracted by new stuff!!