Thursday, December 29, 2011

Season's Eatings!

My parents graciously gave me our ham bone left over after our Christmas feast, and I knew exactly what my plans were for that bad boy: the best ham and potato soup ever made.

Care to take the journey with me?  Okay, let's go!


Here's a shot of everything that went into my soup: the ham bone, a 5lb bag of red-skinned potatoes, 2 cups of heavy cream, a stick of butter, some bouillon cubes, and a can of corn.  Paula Dean would be proud, I know.

So I started by covering the ham bone in water and adding a few bouillon cubes, some garlic pepper, and a pinch of salt.  Then I let it boil until the meat was practically falling off of the bone.


Then it was time to pull the ham bone out and pull as much meat as possible off.  I chopped up the potatoes while the ham bone was boiling.  I chose red-skinned potatoes for two reasons: they're creamier and less gritty (at least from personal experience) than Russets, and as an added plus, I don't have to peel them! :)



So here's what I had after I had added in the potatoes and the ham I got off of the bone.  I let this boil for about 15-ish minutes, until the potatoes were fork tender.  Then the party got started.  I tempered my heavy cream using a little bit of hot stock, then added that mixture back into the soup along with the stick of butter. Paula Dean said so!  :D

The finished product:


And let me tell you, folks, it was DELICIOUS.

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday meal leftovers in creative ways, too.  If you have a great recipe, share it!

For now, I'm off to slip into a creamy, carb-filled coma.  Cheers!



♥ Marlee

No comments: