Friday, July 22, 2011

Uninvited guests and exciting opportunities!

Well hey there, friends!

I hope everyone is staying cool in the midst of this ridiculous heat wave. I know I'm staying inside as much as I can!

I'm nearing the end of my week of house-sitting our here in Raleigh, and I've enjoyed...most of my time here. I got a little unexpected drama in the form of an ant invasion, but we called the Orkin Man and all seems to be well now. Suffice it to say that I wasn't anticipating having to battle an ant army, but I made it through.

We can officially get back into our classrooms on a regular basis beginning next week, and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been looking into setting up a Donors Choose project, but I need a classroom picture before I can move forward.

What's Donors Choose? Glad you asked!

Donors Choose is an organization that allows teachers to create requests for classroom materials and other necessities. Companies, organizations, or just people who care about education can browse all of the projects and donate as they are able--even if it's only a portion of the amount needed. When your project has been funded, you are contacted via email, and then the materials you requested are sent directly to your school. In return, all that I'm asked to do is take pictures of my students using the materials, and to send thank you notes from both myself and the students to Donors Choose, to be sent on to the people who helped make our project happen. It's my understanding that the Donors Choose organization actually will pay the postage for those thank you's to be sent.

How cool is that?!? The work on my end is minimal. All I have to do is dream up what I would love to have in my room that I know will benefit my students, and write up an attention-getting essay to entice people to donate to my cause. Reading through the site's success stories is super inspiring, and I can't wait to start dreaming big and seeing where it takes me!

Anyway, thought I'd let you guys know about that--as I'm developing a concrete idea for what I want to propose, I'll keep you all in the loop and get the link to the project page I'll be developing. Even if you aren't able to help contribute, passing along the link can be extraordinarily helpful.

I guess I'll sign off for now--don't forget to stay hydrated and keep out of the heat!

See you soon!

♥ Marlee

No comments: