Thursday, October 28, 2010

Secret handshakes, surrendering to spiders and slugs, and also some other stuff.

So I really meant to post last weekend, but life has a funny way of flying by, ya know?

This week has been pretty awesome, all things considered. :-)

I have had fun with my kids, I carved a pumpkin last weekend that has since become a refuge for a myriad of different creepy crawlies, and I got to get involved in my school in a couple of really neat ways.

Shall I expound?

I shall.

My kids are crazy, but in the good way (most of the time). I love that I have inside jokes with them and that we do "secret" handshakes. Part of my love for teaching comes from the opportunity it presents to make incredible connections with kids, no matter their age. As long as I'm able to get results when they're needed, I love being able to be silly with my kids.

This week is Red Ribbon Week at my school, which focuses on Drug Awareness. (Not sure why that's capitalized, but it's my stinkin' blog, so whatever.) Each day has its own theme, kind of like a "spirit week" would. Monday was crazy/mismatched sock day, Tuesday was camo day, Wednesday was pj day, and today was wear-your-favorite-sports-team day. Tomorrow is the day where we try to wear as much red as we possibly can. Suffice it to say, I have heartily participated in each day, though I'm struggling a little with coming up with a good amount of red for tomorrow. I'll figure something out, though!

Now, the pumpkin that I carved last weekend was lots of fun, though it isn't perfect. I chose the pattern that was mostly easy with an owl sitting on a branch. (Yes, Shannon, I thought of you the whole time I was making it.) I was proud of how it came out, even if it wasn't just as I hoped it would be. I was just excited to bring it home to my apartment to have to stick out on my porch.

Until "it" moved in.

I was able to light the pumpkin on Sunday night when I brought it home, but on Monday, I was confused when I came home to see a small web on the front of my pumpkin. Upon (slightly) closer inspection, I was able to see roughly 3 of what I assumed where 8 HUGE spider legs. I'm not kidding. This was like the Godzilla of Granddaddy Long Legs.

Blech.

So I decided to concede the pumpkin because there are a few things I simply struggle to handle with any iota of maturity/bravery, and spiders are one of them. Tuesday I checked again, and it was still there, so I left it alone for fear of losing my hand should I try to light the candle inside of the pumpkin.

Then my dad came over on Wednesday evening to bring me some stuff, and he asked on the way out if I was going to light the pumpkin. I sheepishly told him about how a spider had taken over, and he offered to light the pumpkin for me. I kept telling him to be careful and stood in the doorway in case his attempt to light pumpkin were to anger the spider, who was now easily 25 feet tall in my memory.

But of course, the spider was gone now. The pumpkin was lit, and all was well with the world. I went out to blow out the candle later that night, and lo and behold, there was a small family of slugs that had found my pumpkin. I blew out the candle, shrugged and headed back inside. This morning all traces of "it" and the Sluggertons were gone. My pumpkin is once again lit, and hopefully I've seen the last of its residents for a while.

***UPDATE: Just went to check on the pumpkin. Now I have a record FOUR slugs on it, with a couple more fast (or I guess not-so-fast) approaching...crazy!!!!***

***UPDATED UPDATE: Just went back to double check...officially counted SIX slugs on the pumpkin, with a couple chillin' on the ground nearby. Where do all of them come from???***

This week, I've been really blessed by other people's generosity. Remember that Coat Closet I mentioned a couple of posts ago? Some of the wonderful people from my stepmom's office donated $60 for me to spend on kids' clothing, and then the lovely Linda herself supplied some much-needed children's underwear and socks. It's so nice to do nice things. It's food for the soul, I think. Kind of like a reminder of the redeeming qualities that people can possess, which is encouraging in a world where every other news story is one about kids being killed or abused.

I also participated in a program called Kids on the Run that just got started at my school for the first time today. It's a brief after school program that encourages kids to be active. It meets one afternoon a week, and we start out with some warm ups, then the kids do some sprints. The big finale is for the last 30 minutes when we all walk/jog/run a mile. It's pretty fun. I think it'll be good to get involved in a program that encourages getting active. Maybe it'll push me to start walking more on my own. We'll see, I guess.

I think that about does it for me for right now. I'm hoping to spend some time with friends this Halloween weekend, so I'm sure I'll have some great anecdotes for the next time I catch up with you.

Until then, keep on smiling.

♥ Marlee

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
~George Cooper, "October's Party"

No comments: