Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Delicious autumn!

Oh, Tuesday.

I don't know if anyone has taken the time to really notice (at least those of you who live in my neck of the woods), but it has been absolutely gorgeous outside for a number of days. I wish fall would go ahead and make its presence known down here so that I can officially bust out my sweaters and not die of heat stroke halfway through the day.

On to other matters of business: my school has a Fall Festival coming up in less than a week and a half and I think it's going to be really neat. We're doing a lot of fun games, but we're also doing some cool things to give back to the community, including a Coat Closet full of gently used clothing for some of our families that need a little extra help. I have a few of those kids in my room, and I'm excited to do something that could help make life a little easier around their homes.

I'm working on putting together a "Dia de los Muertos" party for my kids on Friday of next week, which is more or less the last day of the quarter. (It's so hard to believe that we're almost through quarter one, but that's a discussion for another day.) As I'm researching the holiday, I'm really discovering that Mexicans may be able to teach us a thing or two about how to approach death. Now, that was an odd sentence, so let me explain:

Dia de los Muertos is all about death. But not really. It's actually a huge celebration of life, and it's a chance to remember and honor those that we've lost. It's all about coming not to fear death, but to recognize that those who have died are still "with us." Something about that really resonated with me, and I think there's a whole lot more value to celebrating those that we've lost than coloring pumpkins and ghosts. I'm excited to get my kids a little better educated about another culture, and for the chance to give them a little bit of perspective.

Alright, kids, I'm in need of a snack, and probably another early night's rest. I figure eventually I'll wake up in the morning feeling like I've slept enough.

Take some time to enjoy the weather! I know I plan to do so myself. :-)

♥ Marlee

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

2 comments:

jim bourey said...

Good, good, good.

And where's the writing from your dear old Dad these days? Missing.

Keep these things coming.

jim

Marlee said...

I can always count on you for supportive comments. :-) As for where my dad's writing has disappeared to, that is indeed a great question...maybe I can figure that one out with a little investigation, haha.